Thursday 24 April 2014

A caged bird


When freedom is taken away
One's needs looked after any way
None is poor, and a few rich
Rest all are in the middle way

Pride of motherland keeps one going
Though the wings are clipped half way
To fly but a little and then pulled down
So that no one dares to go its own way

Slog and dance as the master wants
What you want matters not
Your movements under watch
Swallow your thoughts, express them  not

They speak on your behalf
You authorise them or not
Open not your mouth
Lest you are caught
Treason be the charge
There is no escape at all

What is this all
You have no control
Over your own thoughts
Left hand snoops
What right hand does or not
Alas! How long will it last

A caged bird for long
With sad and heavy heart
Loses its zest to live
Before it is too long

If lucky it is
It shall slip away
When cage door is loose
And the master looks away

Home is a home
Where lives one's heart
And his mind free
With its thoughts

A little will do
But my freedom
Cut it not short
My life is my own
Answerable to him
I am every moment

I dance on my feet
A song on my lip
With a grateful heart
Thank God! A caged bird I am not!



No comments:

Post a Comment